For some, starting an online business in the UK may seem like a daunting task. There are a hundred of things you need to consider to get things moving and finally see your home business ideas take off.
In fact, a lot of internet-based start-ups have failed mainly due to the lack of foresight and careful planning despite the abundance of small business tips available on the web.
Fortunately, having your own website will help make things a lot easier for you and your business. A website provides first time entrepreneurs a platform to showcase their products and services at a relatively affordable and cost-efficient way, while at the same time, helping them establish a network of loyal clients.
1. Know your competition. Not knowing what the competition is up to puts you at a huge disadvantage. Using software like BuzzSumo can give you a fairly good idea on what topics have caught the interest of readers, and are currently making the rounds of social media. These online services work by aggregating the social performance of specific sites and content and provide you with an at-a-glance view of the processed information. Once you know what people are exactly reading and talking about, it will be easier for you to develop timely and interesting content that will drive traffic to your website.
2. Make your site responsive. Long gone are the days when browsing the internet was done mainly on desktop PCs. Today, people are using their mobile devices not only to access the web to obtain information, but more importantly, to carry out a number of business-related transactions. For those starting an online business, the last thing you would like to do is to give your prospective clients a headache when browsing through your site.
You must therefore ensure that your website’s navigation is accessible and can be comfortably viewed across a range of devices, including tablets and smartphones.
And always consider a good hosting company to park your website.
3. Make SEO your friend. Those who say that search engine optimisation (SEO) is obsolete should think again. In fact, at no other time has SEO become more important than it is today, especially for those sharing home business ideas and small business tips. Thus, optimising content for search engines is still crucial and worth the time and effort spent.
Those who have ventured into online selling and marketing should answer these questions: Are you taking advantage of image alt text? Are you creating internal links to new content on your site? Do you pay attention to meta descriptions?
You must keep in mind that enhancing your on-page SEO doesn’t have to take ages. But the pay offs could be generous.
4. Write blogs for other sites. Many online businesses and organisations have yet to realise it but contributing content to other websites is an excellent strategy to drive traffic to your site. The articles that you post on these sites may not result in immediate customers, but the benefits are sure to come in the medium and long-term. And always remember that referral traffic from these sites can give your online venture a huge boost!
5. Help build a sense of community. In this age of social media, people want to share what is on their minds and exchange ideas on a range of issues, events or products they are passionate about. Therefore, it would be a good idea to also consider building a community into your site. This will be great way to start a conversation among your clients and followers, and consequently, increase the flow of traffic to your website.
To help you craft some tips on how to create your own product, you can read the top 5 business ideas here.
You can do this by implementing a robust and highly-accessible commenting system utilising third-party solutions such as Facebook comments or Disqus. Another option would be to create a dedicated forum wherein visitors can ask questions and respond to queries.
As we earlier mentioned, starting an online business is not a walk in a park. But with the small business tips and home business ideas we shared, we hope that you will be a step closer to achieving your goals as an online entrepreneur.
Why not start it by grabbing a copy of our FREE eBook guide on home-based business!
To learn more and learn how to copy this and other ideas from an expert about starting an online business, check out below.
And oh, don’t forget to apply for our small business tips newsletter and begin to learn more about how to make money online. Leave your details on this site and I’ll send you my free report; ‘Online Business Ideas’
Every success to you,